These colourful Jamaican jerk tofu tacos are easy, delicious and bursting with a complex mix of flavours and textures. Simply marinate some tofu in an easy blender wet Jamaican jerk seasoning, fry them up and add your favorite toppings. These vegan tacos are so delicious you won’t be able to get enough!
This post contains affiliate links which help offset the cost of running this blog without any additional cost to you.
A couple of days ago I published a recipe from the book Caribbean Vegan for rasta pasta: a delicious dish of linguine served up with a creamy coconut curry sauce and to-die-for vegan walnut balls. I was left with quite a bit of the Jamaican jerk seasoning from that recipe in my fridge and a multitude of ideas for what to do with it.
The jerk seasoning itself is pretty simple to put together: basically a mix of green onions, aromatics, fruit juice, vinegar, tomato sauce, thyme, chili peppers and the all-important allspice, cloves and a touch of cinnamon quickly blended together in a food processor.
If you think that Jamaican jerk is burn-your-face-off spicy, making this basic seasoning yourself will allow you to make it just as spicy as you want it.
Even though the recipe for the Jamaican jerk seasoning is really easy, it makes a ton, which is great because you only have to do it once and then it keeps in the fridge for up to a year to pull out whenever you have a hankering for some island flavour.
For these Jamaican jerk tofu tacos you’ll just need a few tablespoons of the seasoning tossed together with cubed tofu and left to marinade for about 30 minutes (or more if you’ve got the time).
Then, simply fry up the tofu till it’s nice and crispy, get your tortillas warm and toasty and top with your favorite toppings and sauce.
I kept my tacos simple with just some fresh crispy cabbage, cilantro and pomegranate seeds for colour but if you want to get fancy you can add some pineapple or mango slaw, red or green peppers, avocado or whatever you like in tacos!
Serves 6 tacos
These colourful Jamaican jerk tofu tacos are easy, delicious and bursting with a complex mix of flavours and textures. Simply marinate some tofu in an easy blender wet Jamaican jerk seasoning, fry them up and add your favorite toppings.
1 hrPrep Time
5 minCook Time
1 hr, 5 Total Time
- 1 package extra-firm tofu (approx. 350 grams / 14 – 16 oz)
- 6 tablespoons wet Jamaican jerk seasoning (store-bought or homemade )
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ cup (120 ml) vegan mayonnaise
- 2 – 3 teaspoons allspice*
- 6 small (approx. 18 cm / 7 inch) tortillas
- ¼ red cabbage, shredded
- ¼ white cabbage, shredded
- The seeds of ½ a pomegranate
- A small bunch of fresh cilantro
- Diced mango, pineapple, tomato, avocado, red or green pepper, etc.
- Lime slices, to serve
- Drain and press the tofu between two towels and under something heavy for at least 30 minutes. Chop into cubes and mix together with about 5 tablespoons of the jerk seasoning. Leave to marinade for at least 30 minutes (the longer the better), stirring from time to time.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat and add the oil and tofu. Fry, stirring from time to time, until the tofu is golden and crispy on all sides. Brush over the remaining 1 tablespoon of jerk seasoning and remove to a paper-lined plate to drain.
- Meanwhile mix together the mayonnaise and allspice and set aside. Heat a medium-sized pan on medium heat and toast the tortillas on both sides.
- Put together the tacos with your choice of toppings, the tofu and serve with the allspice mayo and a squeeze of lime.
*My allspice was quite old so I had to add a lot to get the flavour. If you’ve got fresh allspice, start with less and add more until you get a nice, allspice-y flavour.