The other day I was in my local grocery store and found some very exiting mushrooms. How exciting could mushrooms be, you ask? If you’re me, very, as the usual choice of mushrooms that we have here in Barcelona supermarkets is either white button or oyster. Never a portobello or a shiitake in sight. Forget about cremini. At some times of the year you can find local wild harvest varieties, but to be honest I’ve never been convinced, as I usually find them bland and muddy tasting.
However with my recent discovery the tide seems to be turning. Local supermarkets have started carrying a mix of “mini mushrooms” from the Petras brand. Petras is a well-known mushroom seller in Catalonia with a stand in the famous Boqueria market. Until now, the Boqueria market was the only place I knew of to get these more “exotic” varieties of mushrooms. However a trip downtown just to get mushrooms has always seemed a little over the top. No more!
Petras’ “mini mushroom mix” has two varieties of shimeji, shiitake, and (of course) oyster. I snapped up a container of them (despite the price, which is over 2 euros for just 250 grams!), super inspired to make all kinds of lovely mushroom dishes. Here’s the first one: creamy mushroom crêpes. It’s really simple and lets the flavour of the mushroom shine through.
Makes 4 crepes
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons plant-based milk
- 1 1/4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 550 grams mixed mushrooms of your choice, big ones coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup vegan cream
- A sprig of fresh rosemary
- Salt and pepper
- Mix together the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Mix together the milk and oil. Slowly sift the flour into the wet ingredients and combine well to form a smooth batter.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add a little oil and then a ladle of batter. Pick up the pan and swirl it around so that the batter covers the entire surface in a thin layer.
- Let it cook for a couple minutes until the bottom is light brown. Carefully loosen it with a spatula and flip it to cook on the other side until light brown. The first one usually comes out wonky and has to be discarded. Continue the same process with the remaining batter, piling the finished crêpes on a plate.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add garlic and shallot and fry until fragrant and transparent, 1-2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue frying, stirring occasionally, until tender and browned, about 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in the vegan cream, rosemary, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until slightly reduced and thickened to your liking. About 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Lay a crêpe out flat and spoon a bit of the creamy mushrooms down the middle. Fold the sides up over the mushrooms and serve.