As a food blogger it’s rare to cook a recipe more than once. There’s always another experiment to try and another idea to develop. There’s no time left to go back and revisit old favorites, no matter how delicious they are. However these easy Thai peanut noodles NEED to be made again and again, they’re soooo good and absolutely quick and easy to prepare. Of course the ease with which you’ll be able to prepare these noodles is contingent upon your ease of access to peanut butter. Not a question you ever would have asked yourself when you live in North America, yet as soon as you move abroad you discover that in most countries peanut butter is relegated to the foreign food aisle of the supermarket, if you’re lucky enough to even find it at all. Here in Spain nutella is king and peanut butter is definitely considered exotic. Fortunately, my favorite Asian supermarket (let’s face it, my favorite supermarket, period) Dong Fang has come through for me again by offering one, lowly, generic brand of peanut butter imported from god knows where. With no choice between smooth, crunchy, old fashioned, or natural, I just gotta take whatever I can get.
Anyway, this recipe is yuuuuummy! As with all Thai recipes, it’s got the perfect balance of sweet, sour, salty and spicy. And the raw veggies give it a satisfyingly juicy crunch. Of course you can use Asian noodles for this recipe, but for the sake of simplification I’ve used spaghetti. That’s what makes it easy Thai peanut noodles. Give it a try and I’m sure you’ll be hooked!
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sweetener of choice (brown sugar, agave, honey)
- 2 tablespoons sriracha or sambal oelek; or 1 teaspoon dried red chili flakes; or 1 small chili pepper, minced (adjust to taste)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 340 grams (3/4 lb) spaghetti
- 1 large red pepper, cut into sticks
- 1 large cucumber, cut into sticks
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 4 green onions, chopped
- Sesame seeds, fresh cilantro, and lime wedges, for garnish
- Cook the spaghetti until al dente. Prepare the sauce by mixing together all ingredients, stirring to dissolve the peanut butter. Drain the pasta, transfer to a large bowl and pour over the sauce. Toss to combine. Mix through the vegetables and serve, garnishing each plate with sesame seeds, cilantro and lime wedges. Enjoy!