Orange and ginger glazed tofu is a quick and easy 30-minute weeknight meal. Crispy pan-fried tofu and fresh, crisp steamed broccoli in a sweet, ginger-orange sauce.
It’s encouraging to see more and more supermarkets around Barcelona carrying tofu. It seems to be slowly gaining acceptance here, which is a good thing since tofu has been a staple in my kitchen since I was a teenager.
Despite the fact that it’s becoming easier to find in my neighbourhood, I still prefer to pick up a couple blocks of tofu when I go downtown to the Asian supermarket. It’s cheaper, fresher, and always in stock. Since I don’t manage to get there every week, I put a couple blocks in the freezer to pull out whenever I need them.
The benefit to freezing tofu is twofold: not only does it keep it fresher longer, but it also creates air pockets that allow the tofu to suck up more sauce, thereby making it more flavourful.
Another essential step to imparting flavour in your tofu is to press it. I generally do this by cutting it into slices and arranging them between paper towels. Then I place it between two absorbent bathroom towel and put a couple of heavy textbooks on top. I leave it there for about an hour.
This recipe for orange and ginger glazed tofu resulted from a search for more vegan-friendly recipes. Orange and ginger is a popular Chinese take-out combination, and this sauce is sweet, citrusy, and tangy at the same time.
This particular recipe I found on Connoisseurus Veg, a great website for vegan recipes. The website is enormous, and has practically any vegan recipe you could be looking for. I recommend that you check it out.
- 1 large head of broccoli, chopped
- Vegetable oil
- 450 grams (16 oz) extra-firm tofu, drained, pressed and cubed
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Sesame seeds
- Steam the broccoli until bright green and tender.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat and saute the tofu, stirring occasionally, until brown on each side.
- Mix the cornstarch with a couple tablespoons of the orange juice in a small bowl and set aside. Place the remaining orange juice, brown sugar, soy sauce and orange zest in bowl and mix well to dissolve the sugar.
- When the tofu is fried, make room in the centre of the pan and gently fry the ginger and garlic, stirring constantly, until fragrant.
- Add the broccoli and orange juice mixture to the pan and bring to a simmer. Add the cornstarch mixture and stir it constantly until thickened - just a minute or two.
- Serve over rice and garnish with green onion and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.