This vegetarian Sicilian pasta recipe is easy to make and full of the flavours of the Mediterranean. Sweet bell pepper, crisp carrots, artichoke hearts and white beans in a simple tomato sauce make a hearty and satisfying 15-minute meal.
I’ve been racking my brain for the last two days trying to decide what to write about this vegetarian Sicilian pasta recipe. It’s so simple that it doesn’t need much of an introduction. All I can say is that it’s my all-time favorite pasta dish, and the dish with which I discovered artichoke hearts.
I had no idea that I loved them so much until I tried this pasta for the first time. It wasn’t an ingredient that my mother used very often when I was a child, but now it’s one of my absolute favorite vegetables.
Luckily I live in Spain now and every late winter/early spring the supermarkets and veggie stores overflow with fresh artichokes from the countryside. Fleetingly, however, and most of the year I have to use canned artichoke hearts. But that’s just fine for this recipe.
Vegan Italian recipes have been some of the most popular posts on the blog so far. It's no wonder - the combination of pasta and fresh vegetables always makes for a satisfying meal full of flavour. Not only that but they're usually super fast and easy to prepare. Take this pasta e fagioli recipe, for example, a hearty soup chock-full of vegetables, beans and pasta and ready in just 30 minutes.
Vegetarian Sicilian pasta is my go-to recipe for weeknights when I don’t feel like cooking. It’s fast and easy, colourful, and with great textures from the crispy carrots and peppers. I usually use a whole package of pasta and then have leftovers for a couple of days. Alternatively, it freezes really well and is just as delicious after pulling it out and reheating it.
- 1 package (500 grams) of tricolour fusilli pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium carrots, julienned
- 1 medium bell pepper, colour of your choice (I usually use a mix of red and green), sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- Pepper to taste
- 1 can (about 300 grams) white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 - 425 gram can tomato sauce
- 1 can (about 400 grams) artichoke hearts, quartered
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Cook the carrots for a couple of minutes then add the bell peppers, basil, and pepper. Continue cooking until the carrots are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the pasta, white beans, tomato sauce, and artichoke hearts. Continue cooking, stirring, until everything is heated through.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 336Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 511mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 11gSugar: 7gProtein: 13g