These vegan chorizo and potato tacos are quick and easy to make and great for an effortless yet tasty weeknight dinner. Topped with a fresh homemade salsa verde and/or your favourite taco fixings, this vegan taco recipe is sure to satisfy every member of the family!
As a foodie I have an odd obsession with supermarkets. Whenever I go on holiday somewhere new I have to make a stop at as many supermarkets as possible and have a poke around.
So when I went to the US last week Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods were on my list of things to do and jalapeños and tomatillos were on my list of things to bring home (they’re hard to find and super expensive in Spain).
Now, I don’t normally cook with meat analogue products but since I’ve been hearing everyone raving on Facebook about the soy chorizo from Trader Joe’s I was curious to try it. Turns out that it is pretty good and a good alternative to throw into a dish on busy weeknights when you don’t feel like spending a lot of time in the kitchen.
This soy chorizo product is made from TVP and seasonings. If you don’t live near a Trader Joe’s or can’t find another comparable soyrizo product, it’s actually pretty easy to make your own vegan chorizo at home.
In this veggie nachos recipe I made a sort of taco meat from TVP, tomato sauce and seasonings. It tastes pretty similar to the TJ soy chorizo and would be great in these vegan chorizo and potato tacos. And if you don’t want to use TVP you can substitute brown lentils as well.
As for the salsa verde, it’s equally as simple as the vegan tacos. There are a few different ways you can prepare tomatillos for salsa verde (boiling, roasting, blistering). I chose to blister them in a dry frying pan till they had charred brown spots all over (more flavour!).
Then just toss all the salsa ingredients together into a food processor and blitz it up. If you’ve got time to make the salsa verde first or even ahead of time it’ll taste better once the flavours have had time to mingle in the fridge.
Put together your vegan chorizo and potato tacos with your favourite toppings. I added radish for colour and crunch but avocado, cashew sour cream and a lime wedge for squeezing over your vegan tacos are all great additions as well.
Ingredients for the tacos:
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Half a large onion, diced
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- 170 grams / 6 oz (half a package) of soy chorizo (or any kind of vegan chorizo. Link to a homemade recipe below)
- Salt, to taste
- 8 small (13 cm / 5 inch) tortillas
- Optional toppings: lime, avocado, cilantro, radish, cashew sour cream, etc.
For the salsa verde:
- 5 medium-ish tomatillos
- 1 jalapeño pepper, stem removed (you can remove the seeds and membrane if you want it less spicy)
- 1/4 of a large onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ¼ of a bunch of cilantro
- Salt, to taste
- Boil the diced potatoes until tender.
- In the meantime heat a pan over medium-high heat and add the oil and onion. When the onion is almost cooked add the garlic. Once the garlic is fragrant and tender add the soy chorizo and mix well. Fry for about 5 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- When the chorizo is heated through add the diced potatoes, salt to taste and mix well. You can smash the potatoes a bit with your spoon and add a couple tablespoons of water to get a bit of sauce.
- To make the salsa verde put the tomatillos and jalapeño in a dry pan over medium-high heat and blister them on both sides. Transfer to a small food processor along with the remaining ingredients and blend. It's best if you can make this ahead and cool it in the fridge.
- Toast the tortillas in a dry pan and put together your tacos with your favourite toppings!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 2 tacos
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 295Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 500mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 5gSugar: 3gProtein: 10g
*You can make vegan chorizo with TVP or lentils. Check out this veggie nachos recipe to see how.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.