This vegan mushroom barley soup is easy to make, deliciously simple and flavourful. All you’ll need is a couple of root vegetables, your choice of mushroom, barley and dill for this hearty and comforting vegetarian soup!
Barley seems to be something of a forgotten grain – not as trendy as quinoa or “ancient grains”, barley has been left by the wayside. Too bad because it’s so good, and so good for you! Not to mention cheap! Barley is nothing fancy, but it’s definitely satisfying.
I’ve based this recipe off of Cooking Melangery’s Russian Monday: Gribnoy Soup. She explains that dried wild mushrooms are best for this soup but due to their higher price nowadays, you can get away with fresh mushrooms. Unfortunately now is not the season for wild mushrooms here so I’ve opted for a mix of oyster and white button mushrooms.
To make this vegan mushroom barley soup all you need to do is fry off an onion and some garlic, add a chopped potato, carrot and the barley, cover with vegetable stock and water and let it simmer until the veggies are tender and the barely is done.
Meanwhile, sear off the mushrooms until deliciously golden brown. Add the mushrooms, some fresh dill and season to taste. That’s it! It all takes no more than 30 minutes.
Obviously this soup is great for lunch or dinner on a chilly fall or winter day, but I think that dill has such a fresh flavour that I love this mushroom barley soup in the summer, too! It’s a great accompaniment to these vegan pierogi or just served on it’s own with crusty bread and a fresh, green salad.
Feel free to throw in whatever other vegetables you have on hand; this soup is great with the addition of some leafy greens like kale or spinach. This is also a great make-ahead soup if you’re batch cooking on the weekend and leftovers can be frozen for a few months.
Wanna see how easy this soup recipe is? Watch the video:
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 potato, cubes
- 1 carrot, sliced
- ½ cup (110 grams) pearled barley, rinsed
- 4 cups (1 litre) vegetable stock
- 4 cups (1 litre) water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 500 grams (18 oz) mushrooms, roughly chopped (I used a mix of oyster and button)
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Heat a pot over medium-high heat and add the onion, garlic and a splash of the vegetable stock. Fry until soft then add the carrot, potato, barley, remaining vegetables stock and water. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce the heat to medium. Simmer until the vegetables and barley are tender – 20 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat a large pan over high heat and add the oil and mushrooms. Sear the mushrooms until golden brown on all sides.
- When the soup is ready, add the mushrooms and dill and season to taste. Serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 174Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 853mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 6gSugar: 6gProtein: 7g
This post may contain affiliate links which help offset the cost of running this blog with no additional cost to you.