These vegan mushroom tofu lettuce wraps are an easy, light and delicious meal that can be ready in 20 minutes and are fun to eat! Sure to be a hit with everyone, they’re bursting with freshness from the crisp lettuce and meatiness from the tofu and mushrooms.
It’s all balanced out with an umami-rich dressing and a sweet chili sauce on the side. Vegan mushroom tofu lettuce wraps are a great go-to recipe for when you’re short on time and out of ideas for a quick and delicious meal.
Some of the best kind of food is food you can eat with your hands. Those street-food style dishes like chickpea tacos and banh mi that let you really get in there and feel your food. It somehow makes your food taste better when you’ve included your sense of touch. These little tofu lettuce wraps are the perfect hold-in-your-hand size, so easy to grab and pop in your mouth!
The recipe for these wraps is an easy one-pan meal that’s great to serve for a quick lunch, dinner or appetizer. They’re fantastic to serve at a party – leave a plateful of lettuce leaves, a bowlful of filling and another with the sauce and let your guest make their own.
These vegan lettuce wraps come together so quickly. Once you’ve got your tofu drained and pressed, simply crumble it (I like to mash it with a fork), brown it off in a large pan then go in with the ginger, garlic and mushrooms. Brown those off and add your carrots and hoisin sauce mix. Give it all a good stir, toss in some radishes and green onions and you’re good to go. Spoon your filling into small lettuce leaves and a dollop of sweet chili sauce if you want.
The sauce is totally optional; I followed this sweet chili dipping sauce recipe from SheSimmers except that I used mild chilies rather than spicy ones. I know this recipe has a lot of sugar so you don’t need to include this sauce if you don’t want to.
If you like the flavours and ingredients of this recipe, then you’ll probably also enjoy two of the most popular recipes on the blog to date: vegan potstickers and vegan wonton soup. Or check out my index of Chinese-inspired recipes for some ideas on what to serve with these vegan lettuce wraps.
- 500 grams (18 oz) extra-firm tofu
- 2 - 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced ginger
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, chopped and whites separated from greens
- 300 grams (10.5 oz) fresh shiitake mushrooms, diced
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 4 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 radishes, cut into matchsticks
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Small, round lettuce leaves (mine came in a package of 4 small heads)
- Sesame seeds for serving (optional)
- Sweet chili sauce
- Drain and press the tofu. Crumble it with your hands or mash it with a fork.
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat, add two tablespoons of oil and fry the tofu, stirring regularly, until browned. Transfer to a bowl and reserve.
- Add a touch more oil to the pan if it looks dry and fry the ginger, garlic and white parts of the onion, stirring, until soft and fragrant. Add the chopped mushrooms and fry until soft and beginning to brown. Finally add the carrot and fry until crisp-tender.
- Combine the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, vinegar and sesame oil in a bowl
- Add the tofu back to the pan and mix in the sauce. Turn off the heat and add the radishes and green parts of the green onion. Taste and add salt if necessary
- Serve in the lettuce leaves with sweet chili sauce and sprinkled with sesame seeds.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 306Total Fat: 17gCarbohydrates: 21gProtein: 15g