These vegan pinwheels are easy to make with puff pastry filled with a simple sun-dried tomato and toasted almond pesto. They make a great vegan appetizer or vegan party food for your next friendly get-together!
If you’re in need of a last-minute idea for your next soiree, these vegan pinwheels are perfect! They’re super simple to make and you can even start preparing them well ahead of time to bake up to flaky perfection just before serving.
As I’ve mentioned before, I don’t like to use store-bought vegan cheese products. Firstly for price, good god they’re expensive, and secondly because some of them are just awful. So when I was thinking about what to fill my vegan pinwheels with, I wanted to something different than the majority of recipes you’ll find online that call for vegan cream cheese or something of the sort.
I thought back to my delicious Sicilian Almond Tomato Pesto recipe and decided to do something similar but replace the cherry tomatoes with one of my favourite umami bombs: sun-dried tomatoes. The result is a delicious spread that’s full of flavour and would be just as tasty spread on crackers as it is as a filling for these vegan pinwheels!
To make these vegan pinwheels simply toast the almonds in a dry pan until they smell deliciously. Toss them, the sundried tomatoes, a few leaves of basil, salt, pepper and a bit of oil from the jar of sun-dried tomatoes into a food processor and blend it into a paste.
The pesto is quite thick so some of the chunkiness from the almonds remains, which I think is good since it adds a bit of bite. Spread this paste over a sheet of vegan puff pastry and roll it up from the bottom like a jelly roll.
Put the roll into the freezer. Once it’s cold it’s much easier to slice into thin slices. I left mine in the freezer for 30 minutes and it was enough to get clean slices. If you want to make these vegan pinwheels ahead you can freeze the uncut roll for as long as necessary until you’re ready to bake them up.
You can cut the slices as thick or as thin as you like. I aimed for about ¼ inch (0.6 cm) and ended up with 28 pieces. Lay them out on a baking pan and bake for 20 minutes or until they are puffy and golden brown. That’s it, see how easy!
Wanna see how easy it is to make these vegan pinwheels? Watch the video:
- ½ cup (75 grams) raw almonds (mine were blanched but it probably doesn't make a difference if they have the skin)
- 1 cup (145 grams) sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and oil reserved
- 1 clove of garlic
- About 10 basil leaves
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 – 3 tablespoons of oil from the jar of sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 sheet of vegan puff pastry, thawed if frozen (see note on size below)
- Put the almonds in a dry pan over medium heat. Toast, tossing occasionally, until beginning to brown in spots and are fragrant.
- Transfer the almonds to a food processor along with the sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, basil, salt and pepper. Pulse until reaching a thick paste. You will need to scrape down the sides often as it is very thick. Add as much as the oil from the jar of sun-dried tomatoes as desired for both flavour and to help get the food processor going. I added 3 tablespoons.
- Unroll your puff pastry. Mine measured 33 cm x 26 cm (13 in x 10 in). If yours is smaller you can roll it out a bit, if desired. With the longer edge of the pastry closest you, spread the pesto all over, leaving about 1.5 cm (1/2 inch) bare along the top edge of the pastry. Lightly brush this bare border with water. Roll the puff pastry up from the bottom jelly roll-style and gently press to seal the seam.
- Wrap the log in plastic wrap and put it in the freezer for at least 30 minutes. This makes it easier to slice.
- Preheat your oven to 200°C / 400°F and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Slice the roll into slices between ½ and 1 cm slices (1/4 inch to 1/3 inch) and transfer them to the baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until puffy and golden.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 204Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 75mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.