These vegan rolls with rosemary and raisins are the perfect balance of sweet and savory. This recipe is an egg-free version of the Italian pan di ramerino, a sweet bread traditionally prepared for Easter in Tuscany. They are delicious served for breakfast, brunch, an afternoon snack or even dessert.
You may have gathered by now that I watch a lot of cooking programs. I especially love the ones that feature recipes of a certain cuisine – I always get tons of ideas for interesting and unique recipes to try to veganize for the blog (like this chocolate spice cake with poached pears or this balsamic caviar).
Such is the case with an Australian cooking program I found recently on streaming. Silvia’s Italian Table features the Italian-born actress Silvia Colloca, who apparently is famous in Australia, cooking Italian recipes with other Australian personalities whom I’ve never heard of. Despite the fact that I have no idea who any of these people are, the show is worth watching for the occasional recipe that piques my interest.
Her recipe for pan di ramerino, which she served for dessert as part of a cheese board, was one recipe that I had to try. I could just imagine how delicious the combination of rosemary and raisins would be and although her recipe had eggs in it, I was quite certain they were not necessary.
So I checked around online and, as is usually the case with traditional recipes, found many, many variations of the pan di ramerino recipe. So I’ve pulled together the best parts of each recipe (a lot of olive oil, no eggs) to make these vegan rolls with rosemary and raisins.
Despite the fact that I’m not much of a baker and have had very few successes with baking, these vegan rolls turned out alright and I’ve been enjoying them for breakfast all week. One thing to note is that pan di ramerino should be scored with a crosshatch pattern on top but clearly my knife wasn’t sharp enough to get a nice scoring. If you click through to Silvia’s recipe, you’ll see what I mean.
- ⅔ cup (100 grams) of raisins or sultanas
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 2 – 3 whole rosemary sprigs plus 1 tablespoon finely chopped rosemary leaves
- 4 cups (500 grams) bread flour
- 1 package (2 teaspoons) dry instant yeast
- 1 – 1 ¼ cups (250 – 300 ml) warm water
- 4 tablespoons of brown sugar
- Sugar syrup (2 tablespoons brown sugar dissolved in 1 tablespoon water)
- Place the raisins or sultanas in a bowl and cover with warm water to plump up. Heat the olive oil gently in a small pot until shimmering. Add the whole rosemary sprigs and turn off the heat. Leave to infuse while you prepare the dough.
- Combine the flour and yeast in a large bowl. Add the warm water little by little while mixing. The quantity of water you need will depend on the absorption of your flour. You want a soft dough that you can knead. Turn the dough out onto a floured counter and knead until you get a soft ball that springs back when poked – about 10 minutes. Place the dough back in the bowl, cover with a dish towel and let rise for one hour.
- Remove the rosemary sprigs from the oil and drain the raisins. Turn the dough out onto the floured counter. Sprinkle over a portion of the raisins, chopped rosemary leaves, sugar and a bit of the infused oil. Flour your hands and knead to incorporate. This step can get messy and you may have to re-flour your counter from time to time. Repeat this process until all the raisins, rosemary, sugar and oil is well incorporated into the dough.
- Divide the dough into fist-sized balls and shape into rolls. Place on a baking sheet leaving 5 cm (2 inches) of space between each roll. Score the tops with a crisscross pattern. Cover with a dish towel and leave to rise for 30 minutes. Preheat your oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Bake the rolls for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and brush with sugar syrup while still warm.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 roll
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 523Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 364mgCarbohydrates: 106gFiber: 4gSugar: 48gProtein: 10g